Looking for Articles Written by a Nurse?
There are several ways to locate articles written by nurses in CINAHL Complete.
1. CINAHL Complete offers two limiters called "First Aurthor is Nurse" and "Any Author is Nurse". This option narrows search results to articles written from 2009 onwards by authors with RN, BSN, MSN or equivalent foreign credential. These limiters are found on the main search page under "Search Options".
2. To locate pre-2009 articles written by a nurse, select the Field Code option "AF Author Affiliation", located in the drop-down box to the right of the main search box on the CINAHL Complete search page. This restricts a search to an author's institution--where the author works, assuming this information has been included in the article. For example, enter "nursing" in the search box and select the field "AF Author Affiliation" from the drop-down "Select a Field" menu. Your results will include articles written by authors affiliated with an institution that has the word "nursing" in the title, such as "College of Nursing" or "School of Nursing".
3. Search by nursing qualification in the "AF Author Affiliation" field. This allows you to search for such qualifications as "DNP", "CRNA", or "FNP". For example in the main search box, enter "FNP" with the "AF Author Affiliation" field specified will return articles with an author who is a family nurse practitioner.
4. Use the "SO Publication Name" field to restrict search results to journals with the word "nursing" in the title of the journal, such as Journal of Advanced Nursing. You can increase your search results by entering "nurs*" in the search box instead of "nursing". The asterisk (*) is a useful technique called truncation, and searching on this term results in journals with nurs in the title, including the word nursing, nurse or nurses. This technique may also be used when using the "AF Author Affiliation field code.
5. Use the "Nursing" limiter found in the Journal Subset drop-down box on the "Search Options" page. This restricts search results to journals with a nursing focus.
NOTE: Options 2-5 above will limit search results to articles more likely to have a nurse as author, however, you should carefully examine an article to check whether or not there are nursing credentials listed for the author, such as Cindy Smith RN, MSN.
If you are not finding enough articles, broaden your search topic by eliminating a search term of lesser importance.
The Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders 5 (DSM-5) is the handbook used by health care professionals in the United States and much of the world as the authoritative guide to the diagnosis of mental disorders. DSM contains descriptions, symptoms, and other criteria for diagnosing mental disorders. The DSM-5 is part of the recently purchased package called PsychiatryOnline Premium. Connect to DSM-5
View the PsychiatryOnline Tutorial to learn more about searching across psychiatric journals, ebooks, practice guidelines and more.
Looking for Qualitative or Quantitative articles?
Click on the "Articles" tab above and scroll down for search tips
Anatomy TV Primal Pictures: multimedia suite of interactive modules featuring 3D anatomical models of the human body. Modules include systemic and regional anatomy, sports and therapy, surgery and specialty titles including Speech language pathology and more.
ClinicalKey: Note: works best with IE or Google Chrome. authoritative evidence-based medical information. Includes 500 full-text medical journals, 900 leading medical texts, 15,000 med/surg videos, practice guidelines, 15,000 patient education handouts, current drug information, 5 million medical images, medical news. Search within First Consult for information on medical topics, differential diagnoses, procedures. For mobile access, first access ClinicalKey through the Snell Library website. Click on "Create an Account". Complete the registration form and create your username/password, and log out. Log into ClinicalKey by visiting http://clinicalkey.com from your mobile browser. Log in using your new personal login.
Henry Stewart Talks: Biomedical & Life Sciences: online biomedical topics, including audio lectures & supplemental materials such as slides & notes, by faculty members & researchers from around the world.
Counseling and Therapy in Video provides video for the study of counseling, social work, psychotherapy, psychology, and psychiatric counseling. Users can create, edit and share playlists or clips.
Encyclopedia of Global Health covers all aspects of global health, including physical/mental health. Includes public policy topics, biographies, profiles of medical institutions, organizations and corporations.
E-journal Title Search (search by journal title to see if NU subscribes to an e-journal)
All Databases and Trials (complete A-Z list of databases)
Interlibrary Loan (request books or articles not available at NU)
Citation Guides (includes APA, MLA, CSE and more)
EndNote (software for managing your citations)
RefWorks (software for managing your citations)
Need Help? (email, chat, text us)
Off-campus Access to Resources
Alumni Access to Library Resources
Nursing, Nutrition, Physical Therapy, Movement & Rehabilitation Sciences, Physician Assistant, Communication Sciences & Disorders
MS in Library & Information Science, Simmons College
BA Marietta College
ACRL/New England Chapter, MAHSLIN, NAHSL