Announcement: Center for Research Libraries
Northeastern University Libraries have become a member of the Center for Research Libraries (CRL), vastly increasing access to important resources for research in all aspects of history.
For more information about CRL, please visit the CRL subject guide.
Featured new History Resources
Atlanta Daily World 1931-2003 African American Newspaper
Baltimore Afro-American 1893-1988 African American Newspaper
Chicago Defender 1910-1975 African American Newspaper
Digital National Security Archive A comprehensive set of declassified government documents covering critical US policy decisions from 1945 to the present.
Immigration Records of the INS 1880-1930 (History Vault)
International Historical Statistics. 260 years of rich data from around the world.
Los Angeles Sentinel 1934-2005 African American Newspaper
NAACP Papers 1909-1972 (History Vault)
Women's Rights Collections 1880-1990 (History Vault)
Key Resources in this Guide
Articles from journals. Search the JSTOR database, which is the most comprehensive of our resources for articles covering all aspects of history.
Books at Northeastern University Libraries. Search in Scholar One Search, limiting your search to "Library Catalog."
Encyclopedia articles. Search Cambridge Histories Online for scholarly articles.
Historical Newspaper articles. Choose the region of the world you are searching from the tabs above.
Primary source materials. Choose the region of the world you are searching from the tabs above.
Databases for finding articles
American Periodical Series Online 1740-1940 Over 1,000 magazines, and newspapers published between 1740-1940.
JSTOR Full text of 100s of journals in most disciplines, including history. In some cases, current 3 years of articles not included.
Project Muse Many full text, academic journals, including in history. Coverage from 1994 to date.
Web of Science. This database covers all disciplines, not just science. Useful for citation tracking or citation analysis.
Finding books in Snell Library
For books, print and electronic, owned by Northeastern University Libraries, search Scholar OneSearch by author, title, or keyword. Or, browse the print collection on the 3rd floor by call number.
General History D1-D1075
European History DA1-DR2285
Middle East & South Asia DS1-DS495
East Asian History DS501-DS937
African History DT1-DT671
US History E1-F975
Canadian History F1001-F1140
Latin American History F1201-F3799
3rd floor reference books include specialized history encyclopedias, dictionaries, and biographical listings.
For finding and requesting books unavailable at Snell Library, please check WorldCat Local.
Note: See the tab above for finding history books on the web.
Featured Reference Resource
Cambridge Histories Online is a major online reference and research collection, covering all geographic areas and all time periods. The articles are scholarly, with excellent bibliographic listings at the end of the individual articles.
Award Winning History Books
Bancroft Prize 2014
- A Misplaced Massacre: Struggling over the Memory of Sand Creek by Ari Kelman
- Fear Itself: the New Deal and the Origins of our Time by Ira Katznelson
National Book Award 2014
- Age of Ambition Evan Osnos (winner)
- Heathen School John Demos (finalist)
- Mantle of Command Nigel Hamilton (finalist)
- Nature's God Matthew Stewart (finalist)
- No Good Man Among the Living Anand Gopal (finalist)
- When Paris Went Dark Donald Rosbottom (finalist)
Pulitzer Prize 2014
- The Internal Enemy: Slavery and War in Virginia, 1772-1832 Alan Taylor (winner)
- A Dreadful Deceit; the Myth of Race from the Colonial Era to Obama's America Jacqueline Jones (finalist)
- Command and Control: Nuclear Weapons, the Damascus Incident, and the Illusion of Safety by Eric Schlosser (finalist)
- The Blood Telegram: Nixon, Kissinger and a Forgotten Genocide by Gary Bass (finalist)
- The Insurgents: David Petraeus and the Plot to Change the American Way of War by Fred Kaplan (finalist) on order.