To download and install EndNote, follow these steps:
1. Log in to MyNortheastern.
2. Click on Services & Links.
3. Look for the "Study and Course Resources" link on the left navigation menu. (Faculty/staff, look instead under Faculty/Staff Services.)
4. Click on "Software Downloads."
5. Select the latest version (X8) for Windows or Mac and click "Continue."
6. Accept the license agreement and follow the on-screen prompts. Pay careful attention to the “Installation Notes” as you download and install the software.
7. If you are asked for a license number, the software hasn’t been installed correctly and you will need to un-install and re-install it following the “Installation Notes” provided. See screenshot at:
Once you have downloaded the EndNote software, it's a good idea to create an EndNote Online account so you can save and sync your citations online, as well as on your own computer.
To create an account:
If you are on campus, sign up for an account at the EndNote Online website.
If you are off campus, install the EndNote software, then navigate to the "Preferences" menu and use the "Sync" options to set up your EndNote Online acccount.
If you are already registered with Web of Science, use that login information to access your EndNote Online account.
If you already have a free ResearcherID account, use that login information to access your EndNote Online account.
Many library databases offer options to export references directly to EndNote. Look for options that say "cite," "save," or "export," to export citations to your EndNote library. See a few examples below:
|EBSCO||Gale||ProQuest||SAGE||Taylor & Francis|
For directions about how to export citations from other library databases, view this handout.
EndNote has a tool you can add to your browser that will allow you to capture citations from online sources.
The steps for installing this tool are covered below:
1. Log in to your EndNote Online account
2. Click on the "Downloads" link in the toolbar.
3. Drag the "Capture Reference" button to your browser's bookmarks bar to install.
Once you've installed the tool, click "Capture Refence" in your bookmarks bar anytime you want to save an article or document from a website.
We no longer support connection files (except for Scholar OneSearch, below). Instead we recommend using database's native interface and exporting references to Endnote.
· Download the Scholar OneSearch connection file to search and save citations from Northeastern's library catalog from within EndNote.