Chicago Manual of Style
Frequently asked citation examples/questions:
- One source quoted by another source (for example a primary source quoted in a secondary source)
- Primary source websites for documents like letters and photographs
- Adding the link URL or DOI for electronic journal articles (can be helpful to readers) http://www.chicagomanualofstyle.org.ezproxy.neu.edu/16/ch14/ch14_sec184.html
ALWAYS proofread your citations! Suggested citations and automatic formatting are imperfect.
- JSTOR does not always provide "Place of publication" information for books. You may need to find that on Amazon or Google books and add it manually.
- JSTOR treats single-author book chapters as if they were independent items, instead of citing them as a book. Click on the book title and then "cite this" in order to get a more correct citation format for books by single authors.
- Check upper/lower case: All words in a title are capitalized unless they are prepositions or conjunctions.
The library offers webinars and online help for good citation practice and Endnote, Mendelay, Refworks, Zotero software