Arts & Culture
- queer performance art
- LGBTQIA+ writers
- bullying in schools; opposition to anti-bullying efforts by those who want to maintain traditional gender roles and stereotypes
- gender nonconforming children in schools
- how people who identify as non-binary navigate a world that sees gender in binary terms
- how nonbinary and transgender identities are similar and different
- legal rights of transgender people
- transgender visibility and "passing"
- how sexual orientation (who you're attracted to) differs from gender identity (who you are)
- LGBTQIA+ marches and political movements
- LGBTQIA+ pioneers and activists
- transgender history-- e.g., search transgender history in San Francisco
- lesbian and gay history-- at what point did sexual behavior come to be seen as an identity?
- history of bisexuality-- at what point was it recognized as an identity?
- the influence of cultural norms and attitudes of a specific century or decade, and how/why people hid their feelings of same-sex attraction
- was there a time period and location in which the social climate was more accepting of same-sex attraction and desire?
- biography of a specific person in history whose trans identity or same-sex attraction was known or documented
- Important Legislation for LGBTQIA+ people
- contrast how LGBTQIA+ people experience life in other countries outside of the United States
- compare and contrast laws and culture within the Asian continent
- which countries are the most and least accepting of LGBTQIA+ people
- LGBTQIA+ couples of differing nationalities-- can they live in the same country?
- LGBTQIA+ rights worldwide (focusing on the "LGBTQIA+ climate" in a specific country or region)
- how are transgender people transforming the medical establishment?
- sexual orientation-- what does biological research tell us about it?
- LGBTQIA+ mental health; research shows LGBTQIA+ people have higher overall rates of depression, anxiety, and substance abuse disorders
- the diagnosis of "gender dysphoria" and how it has been reframed and is no longer a pathology
- parenting as a trans, nonbinary or gender fluid person
- lesbian and gay parenting and adoption
- new reproductive technologies for LGBTQIA+ people
- the history of how LGBTQIA+ people have or have not been integrated into the priesthood of a particular faith
- what new elements have LGBTQIA+ people brought to a particular faith
- LGBTQIA+ themes in the Bible;
- use of the Bible to justify mistreatment of LGBTQIA people
- bisexuality and issues that are unique to bisexual people
- asexuality-- what is means, how it is often misunderstood;
- new efforts at asexual visibility coming out stories/ coming out process;
- challenges to the concept of "coming out"
Society & Politics
- recent backlash against LGBTQIA+ people
- gender identity and America's (or another nation's) changing cultural norms
- opposition to gay rights
- discrimination and treatment in the workplace (search also phrases such as "openly gay teachers")
- violence and bullying of LGBTQIA+ people
- marriage of LGBTQIA+ people to heterosexuals in order to "pass" (especially in traditional cultures)
- queer film festivals as a step toward visibility
- same-sex marriage -- who supports it, who opposes it, and which countries have legalized it
- Rainbow capitalism
Scholarly and nonscholarly articles on LGBTQ topics can be found in the following sources (accessible to current Northeastern affiliates)