Why Use the Library?
Web search engines such as Google are convenient for quickly finding information that is freely available online.
- Much of the most valuable and important material is not free.
- Web search engines offer limited search options.
- Offer flexible search options that help you to quickly identify the best content on your topic.
- Link to the full text or to options for quickly obtaining the full text at no cost.
- Help you to manage your content and cite it properly.
Checklist for Research
- Express your research topic in the form of a statement or a question and identify pertinent keywords
- Determine the type and amount of information you need
- Select the appropriate research tools.
- Search the research databases effectively to retrieve relevant results
- Evaluate search results and refine your search if necessary
- Get the full text of the materials you need
- Understand the legal and ethical issues involved in use of the materials you have collected
- Cite your sources