Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
What is plagiarism?
"The action or practice of taking someone else's work, idea, etc., and passing it off as one's own; literary theft."
Source: Oxford English Dictionary
"The University defines plagiarism as intentionally representing the words, ideas, or data of another as one’s own in any academic exercise without providing proper citation."
Source: Academic Integrity Policy
Northeastern University Office of Student Conduct and Conflict Resolution (OSCCR)
Examples of plagiarism
- Buying a term paper
- Having someone else write the paper for you
- Copying a few words or paragraph without quotation
- Rephrasing another person's work and inserting into your work without citing the original source
- Rephrasing another person's work and acknowledging it the first time, but continuing to use the author's words without giving additional credit or citation
- Turning in work as your own, when it was done jointly by a group in which you may have participated--check with your instructor, is it acceptable to do the work in a group?
- Turning in work done by you, but for another class without documenting it had been used before
- Creating phony citations
Have questions? Please check with your professor to make sure you haven't plagiarized unintentionally or violated NU academic integrity policies.
Research and Writing Support
Archives and Special Collections
Archives staff are working remotely but references services are available.
Recording Studio staff provide online workshops and support with multimedia presentations,3-D projects, and portfolios.
Subject Specialists work in several Library departments. They assist individuals and small groups with research projects.
- The Writing Center is open to all members of the Northeastern community on any piece of writing they're working on.
- International Tutoring Center (ITC) is dedicated to providing current Northeastern University international students with free, comprehensive English language and academic support
Academic Integrity Tutorial