Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
We are still offering consultation services during the COVID-19 move to online instruction. Please feel free to reach out for virtual appointments! For more information on library services and resources, please click here.
Get started with Scholar OneSearch
Scholar OneSearch can be a great place to start your research. Search results include books (both print and electronic), articles, videos, data sets, and more.
Using Scholar OneSearch
To find books or e-books, you'll want to use Scholar OneSearch - the Northeastern Library Catalog.
Once you've searched for the topic you're interested in (ex. 'bioengineering and stem cells'), Scholar OneSearch will return a list of as many materials as possible related to your topic. This will include books and e-books, as well as some articles, videos, dissertations, and more.
The easiest way to search Scholar OneSearch is to limit your search to a particular material type, such as books or e-books. To do this, use the filter on the left hand side of the screen to select the material type(s) you're interested in and click 'Apply'. You can also exclude material types from your search by hovering over the material type and clicking the red check box on the right hand side of the material type.
Featured Reference Sources
Van Nostrand's Encyclopedia of Chemistry (2005)
Captures the expansion of chemistry into new fields and the impact related sciences have had on the increasingly interdisciplinary nature of chemistry. In addition to "classic" topics in chemistry, it covers such new topics as nanotechnology, fuel cell technology, combinational chemistry, and materials science.
Burger's Medicinal Chemistry, Drug Discovery and Development (2010)
This online version of the 7th Edition of the major reference work, offering access to broad coverage of medicinal chemistry and drug discovery for new, as well as experienced, medicinal chemists, biologists, pharmacologists, and molecular biologists.
Encyclopedia of Geochemistry (2018)
The Encyclopedia is a complete and authoritative reference work for this rapidly evolving field. Over 300 international scientists, each experts in their specialties, have written over 330 separate topics on different aspects of geochemistry including geochemical thermodynamics and kinetics, isotope and organic geochemistry, meteorites and cosmochemistry, the carbon cycle and climate, trace elements, geochemistry of high and low temperature processes, and ore deposition.
Tips for using Scholar OneSearch
- Try using the advanced search to specify a subject and author you are interested in at the same time.
- Sign in to Scholar OneSearch to see additional results. Some databases, such as Web of Science, won't allow their results to populate Scholar OneSearch for anyone who is not signed in.
- Use the filters on the left hand side of the search results page. Some of the most popular filters are material type (to limit to a specific type of research such as an e-book or e-journal), author/creator (to see who is prominently publishing in the field), and year (to limit to research in a particular time period).
If we don't have access to an article or book you need...
Try using Northeastern's Interlibrary Loan system to request books, book chapters, or articles not available at NU. Articles can be delivered electronically.
Detailed LC Classification
Search these call number ranges on the 3rd floor to find books in the stacks. Note that you will find the most recent books by searching Scholar OneSearch limiting to Library Catalogs (and then limiting to Full Text Online for ebooks).
- QD 1-65 - General Works
- QD 11-18 - History
- QD 21-23 - Biography
- QD 24-26 - Alchemy
- QD 27-28 - Early Works
- QD 31-39 - General Books and Textbooks
- QD 39.3 -- Computational chemistry
- QD 40-49 - Study and teaching
- QD 51-65 - Laboratory techniques, apparatus, handbooks, etc.
- QD 71-142 - Analytical chemistry
- QD 81-98 - Qualitative analysis
- QD 95-98 - Spectroscopy and spectrum analysis
- QD 101-142 - Quantitative analysis
- QD 146-197 - Inorganic chemistry
- QD 156 - Inorganic synthesis
- QD 161-169 - Nonmetals
- QD 171-181 - Metals
- QD 189-193 - Salts
- QD 196 - Inorganic polymers
- QD 241-449 - Organic chemistry
- QD 262 - Organic synthesis
- QD 271-272 - Organic analysis
- QD 291 - Nomenclature, named reactions
- QD 300-315 - Aliphatic compounds
- QD 320-327 - Carbohydrates
- QD 330-341 - Aromatics
- QD 380-388 - Polymers
- QD 399-406 - Heterocyclics
- QD 410-412 - Organometallic chemistry
- QD 415-441 - Biological chemistry, natural products
- QD 450-899 - Physical and theoretical chemistry
- QD 462 - Quantum chemistry
- QD 466-467 - Chemical elements, isotopes, periodicity
- QD 469 - Valence
- QD 474 - Complex compounds (coordination compounds, clathrates, etc)
- QD 475 - Physical inorganic chemistry
- QD 476 - Physical organic chemistry
- QD 476.2 - Biophysical chemistry
- QD 477 - Acids and bases
- QD 478 - Solid state chemistry
- QD 501-502 - Chemical reactions, kinetics and mechanisms
- QD 503 - Chemical equilibrium
- QD 504 - Chemical thermodynamics
- QD 505 - Catalysis
- QD 506 - Surface chemistry
- QD 510-539 - Thermochemistry
- QD 540-548 - Theory of solution, solubility
- QD 549 - Colloids, gels
- QD 551-599 - Electrochemistry
- QD 601-655 - Radiochemistry, nuclear chemistry
- QD 701-731 - Photochemistry
- QD 875-882 - Supramolecular chemistry
- QD 901-999 - Crystallography