There are many good websites from the US Government, trade and civic organizations, and other colleges and universities that are devoted to or contain significant information about sustainability. The following is a list of just a few of these websites:
- American College of University Presidents Climate Commitment Major organization of colleges committed to sustainability, both in their campus operations and in their curricular efforts. Northeastern University is a full member.
- American Council for an Energy Efficient Economy. Provides technical and policy assessments to businesses and organizations.
- American Public Media: Sustainability Coverage
(non-profit organization) Audio productions on sustainability, created for public radio broadcasts.
- Association for the Advancement of Sustainability in Higher Education. Excellent resource for newspaper and magazine articles, reports, and books on all aspects of sustainability.
- Building Green (Building Green Inc.) NU only.
- Campus Ecology (National Wildlife Federation). Website devoted to campus environmental issues from a renowned federation.
- Campus Technology Green Page (Campus Technology). Articles from the online newsletter pertaining to green issues in higher education.
- Design Centre for Sustainability. (Univ. of British Columbia). An academic leader in the field.
- Donella Meadows Institute A think tank dedicated to sustainable resource use.
- Ecological Building Network Non-profit, international organization of builders.
- Energy Revolution (European Renewable Energy Council and Greenpeace). Reports on ways to reduce global CO2 emissions while allowing for an increase in energy consumption.
- EnviroLink Library (Environmental Resources)
- Environmental Sustainability Index
(Columbia University, Yale University, World Economic Forum) Data sets and reports on environmental health.
- Global Institute of Sustainability
(Arizona State University) Focus on sustainability in urban environments, especially in arid Southwest.
- Grist Recognized online magazine covering sustainability news, links, research, etc.
- Massachusetts Technology Collaborative. Part of the Commonwealth, promoting clean energy technology.
- Matter Network. Online media company providing news from various sources about sustainability topics.
- Northeast Sustainable Energy Association. Produces major events in New England.
- Permaculture Institute. New Mexico organization devoted to sustainable agriculture.
- Second Nature Major organization devoted to sustainability issues in higher education.
- Smart Growth Network. Joint effort of the US EPA and non-profit organizations.
- UN Commission on Sustainable Development. Created as a follow-up to the Un Earth Summit in 1992.
- U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
Disease prevention and control, environmental health, health promotion and education activities, national health statistics.
- U.S. Environmental Protection Agency
This is a searchable website with information about all the activities and publications of the EPA whose aim is 'to protect human health and safeguard the natural environment'. Hint: Click on 'Information Sources' in the box on the left for access to other EPA information sources.
- U.S. Environmental Protection Agency's P3 section. Student design competition for sustainability.
- U.S. Environmental Protection Agency's P3 section, multimedia library. Great link to undegraduate video clips of design winners.
- US Green Building Council. Non-profit, nation-wide network of education and certification support.
- U.S. National Renewable Energy Laboratory. Part of the US Dept. of Energy.
- World Business Council. Global association of over 200 companies devoted to sustainable development.
- World Resources Institute International think tank devoted to sound development.
- Worldwatch Institute. International, independent research organization committed to sustainable growth.