Skip to main content
We are still offering consultation services during the COVID-19 move to online instruction. Please feel free to reach out for virtual appointments! For more information on library services and resources, please click here.
Legislative District Data
Creating District Profiles
In addition to using the Census and GIS tools described on this page, consider the following:
- Contact the legislator's office staff to request information. Alternatively, many legislators have web pages with links to issues/events of interest to district residents.
- Contact public libraries within the District, particularly those in larger communities.
- Consult newspapers from communities/regions within your District (see the Key Resources box on the Home tab, this guide).
- If you don't have an opportunity to visit the district, try some map options (Mass GIS Oliver on this page, Google Earth, Google Maps or comparable mapping site)
- Locate city/town web pages for major communities within the District. Find local officials, committees, and boards.
- Check the Massachusetts Municipal Association list of City and Town Web Sites.
- Check pages for the Commonwealth's Congressional Districts. These pages often provide information that may be of use.
Mass GIS Oliver
Oliver is a mapping tool provided by MASS GIS for displaying data at a variety of geographic levels, including legislative districts.
Test drive Oliver!
This PowerPoint presentation shows some of the specialized district maps that may be created using the Oliver mapping tool.
Other Massachusetts Maps
Mass GIS browser based applications
Use these applications to view aerial photographs, USGS topographic maps, open space maps, and environmental justice maps among others.
Mass Stats provides a tool for creating basic thematic maps at the state or local level. Variables available include crime, demographics, politics, health, environment, economic, transportation, and housing. NOTE: Use for information on cities and town within your district; legislative district mapping is not included.